Friday, March 14, 2003

VINDICATED

This is another "I wish day". I wish some specific persons were just with me this morning and I will be vindicated. It's a little thing actually, but I never forgotten it. I was at the Senate library this morning doing my research for the office and I came across with a letter that I wish, some people from Silliman could have seen.

Two years ago, I was elected Secretary of the Oratorical and Debating Club (ORADEC) of Silliman University College of Law. My President was Lowell "Wang" Yu (now a lawyer). Well, part of my job, as any secretary would do, is to write letters. So I wrote letters to be signed by the president of the ORADEC. At that time, we were preparing for the grand debate between the law schools of Silliman University and Ateneo de Manila.

I was already bored ending my letters with "I am looking forward to your favorable response," or " we hope this letter merits your favorable attention," and the likes. So I opted to use this, "anticipating your favorable response, I am." (actually, I could not remember the exact words, but it has something to that effect). When that letter reached our president, he insisted on changing it. He has never seen a sentence that ends with comma and "I am". And so are the most of the people of the Silliman University College of Law.

It would have been okay for me, but Aliakbar Jumrani and Roma Badrina, then second year law students, made it as a butt of their jokes. Not in their wildest imagination could a sentence in a letter end with ", I am". And they would even made fun about it in my presence. I got mad, but I did not argue with them. I find it useless. I know I am right, but it is just difficult telling it to these people who think they have perfect English.

Now, the letter I discovered this morning. It was a letter written by then Sen. Arturo Tolentino to then President Carlos Garcia when the latter vetoed Senate Bill 293, the law against Graft and Corruption in the Government. The letter ends with this "with my highest esteem and regards, I am".

Do I need to say more? I just wish Aliakbar and the rest could read this blog.

No comments: