Friday, November 29, 2002

I WAS HIT BY A DRUNK GUY IN MALATE

I had my first taste of senseless violence in Manila.

The incident was so not grave though to merit the headlines of the tabloids, but the experience tells you to be VERY careful next time.

I was in Malate Sunday evening (Nov. 17). On my home (that was early dawn of Monday) I decided to take the jeep in Taft Avenue. While walking along Nakpil St, the two guys who went ahead of me were met by an older man. After seconds of talking, they hurriedly went back. I overheard them talking about group of guys fighting near Taft and their fear that one of those fighting might be carrying a knife or an ice pick.

Having heard those, I turned left and proceeded to the direction of Malvar St. It was a bit dark in Malvar, but confident that I was on the safer side, I continued to walk towards Taft Avenue.

I was one block away from Taft, when I noticed a guy, about 5'5" in height and wearing red shirt and green pants. He was hidden behind the tourist buses that regularly park along Malvar St. in the evening. I noticed him swaying his hips while walking. I thought he was one of those gay guys who are cruising Malvar. You see this area of Malate is a cruising ground for some gays and a lot of "miracles" happen here (even along the darkened sidewalks).

Then the red-shirt-guy was swerving towards my direction. I lessen my pace and looked at him. It all happened so fast that I never noticed he was already one meter away from me. Then suddenly he lift his stretched arms, closed his fist and swings his arm towards me where his closed fist slammed unto my left shoulder blades. I was shocked.

My immediate response was to run but fear struck in my mind. What if that guy has a companion waiting just in the corner? What if these guys are drug addicts? What if one of them is bringing a knife? God! I don't want to die in this section of Malate, it would be too embarrassing to die there.

I never run so fast in my life

Fortunately the red-shirt-guy was all alone and he was too drunk to run after me. Upon seeing the first cab in Taft, I hailed it and hurriedly close the door. There goes my effort in trying to save what little money I have!

No comments: