Monday, September 15, 2003

WHEW!

I have just survived one hearing that has been giving me goosebumps over the weekend!

It wasn't really a big deal. I was asked to appear in court as a representative of my boss because he can't attend the hearing for he has to another hearing. All I have to do is to go to the court. Once the case (Declaration of Nullity of Marriage) is called, all I have to do is tell the judge that I am appearing as a representative of my boss, that my boss can't make it to this hearing stating the reason mentioned above, I will ask for a postponement and a period ten days to file a comment on the motion filed by the petitioner (our client is the respondent).

Simple? Probably yes. But when you are not yet a lawyer and your formal studies of law is only up to two semesters (I'll be continuing my law studies next year), you wouldn't have that confidence. Worst, you know that seating at the opposite side of the bench as lawyer for the petitioner is THE Atty. Katrina Legarda. Now tell me if you wouldn't be afraid.

Who is Katrina Legarda? Well, she just happens to be one of the best lawyers in town. She has her own talk show in one of the major TV network in the country, almost everybody listens to her, possess the impression of being feisty and the reason why former Congressman Romeo Jaloslos of Zamboanga del Norte is in jail right now.

I am usually a composed person (my friends can attest to that), my level of confidence is high and when pressured, I don't panic. But this morning, I was fidgety. I was going over my notes a hundred times, imagining all the worst scenarios, I can’t stay in one position while seating. The irony is, I WAS ONLY ASKING FOR A POSTPONEMENT! It is supposed to be as simple as that! But you don’t expect Katrina Legarda to go easy on that and I was right.

By 8:30 the court started calling cases. Atty. Legarda did not arrived yet. Part of me was wishing she wouldn’t come, but a part me was hoping she would. Honestly, I would really want to meet her and know how is she in court (and part if was of course the bragging right that “hey! I have faced the Atty. Katrina Legarda in court!”)

By 9 a.m. she arrived and upon seeing her it seems that there is a percussion band beating in my heart. Worst, she sat beside me which even made me feel more nervous. I was trying to amuse myself at the testimony of a 16-year-old girl while waiting for your case to be called. Katrina, on the other hand, was angered by the taught a 16-year-old girl who was called to the witness stand to testify against her mother in an annulment case. I wasn’t really laughing at the girl (well, sniggering for that matter), I just found her answers bitchy and amusing.

That 16-year-old girl testified that her mom is of unstable mind and has been causing her and her sisters physical and mental abuse. To counter her testimony the lawyer of the mother presented some cards which the girl admitted that it came from her. In that card, she wrote that her mom is the “perfect mom in the world”. The lawyer, dressed in all white and aided by a cane, then asked “how can you reconcile now this card with your previous statements. The girl candidly answered, “you wouldn’t give somebody a card and write bad things about her, won’t you?” At this point, I gave a soft laugh which was noticed by Katrina.

Noticing me, Katrina asked for what case I was there. I told her for the R Case (can’t tell the title ok). She then asked so what are you going to say in court? I answered we will be just calling for a postponement. She answered, “that cannot be, you had all the time to answer.” Then the “interview portion” began, while the judge was still hearing other cases.

“You are attorney?” Katrina asked. “No ma’am, I am just a paralegal,” I answered.

“A paralegal! are you studying law?”

“I used to, but hope to continue next year.”

“So where did you study law?”

“Silliman University”

“Silliman University, that is a good school!” She declared.

“Thank you ma’am,” I answered.

She continued to ask, “where do you intend to proceed with your law studies?”

“At FEU-LA Salle.”

“Oh, that business and law program at RCBC Plaza?”

“Yes, Ma’am”

“Well, if you have a problem just tell me, I know Atty. Bautista the dean of FEU law school.”

“I will ma’am.”

She was kind. Later an employee of the court approached her. After that our case was called. If she was accommodating to me while we were still seated she wasn’t when we were already standing in front of the judge. Eventually, the judge was persuaded by her arguments and refused to give the postponement that we asked. The judge told us that the petitioner’s motion will be submitted for resolution without our comment.

Well, I was not able to get what we want but I am happy to say that I did not commit any blunder, either. I am also pleased by the fact that even if she knew meas a paralegal only with a minimal knowledge about law compared to her, she did not go easy on me. She treated me as an equal and made me defend my case the best that I could. She had all my respects.

And yes! Most of the people that I talk to had all this comment about Katrina. She is a dyke. I beg to disagree. Yes her hair is cropped, but no dyke would come to the court bringing a pink handbag made of indigenous materials and with floral design. No dyke would have well-manicured nails and wear a pink blouse top by black coat. Katrina is not what most of the people think about her, that is obviously an unfair stereotype. She is a handsome woman. Feisty, determined, but still a lady.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,that's really a great experience! I just wanna ask where can I contact her? I desperately need to get her as my lawyer..
Thanks!
jesse

Anonymous said...

Hi! That was a great experience knowing her and talkin gwith her. I just want to ask what is her number? So that I could talk to her. Because I would like her to be my lawyer. Thank you very much. I'll b waiting for your reply. Thanks! This is my e-mail address. chiakioka_2005@yahoo.com

Hoping for your consideration. Thanks a lot!