Wednesday, January 21, 2004

DUMAGUETE IN MY MIND

God! I miss Dumaguete!

My boss asked me to look for past news articles about the politics in Dumaguete and on the process, I opened two sites about Dumaguete, both offered numerous pictures of the city. I was going picture after picture realizing how beautiful the city is and how I miss it.


Rizal Boulevard

Who would not fall in love with this beautiful park just beside the sea? From afar you could see the Island of Cebu, the Enchanting Island of Fire popularly known as Siquijor. Who would not love walking along this boulevard with fresh breeze from the sea, watching the calm and sometimes turbulent Mindanao Sea? I still remember the time when the boulevard, at night, turns into one big party place (KK and Beth, remember that blue alcoholic beverage that made us all drunk, except Beth of course!. That woman has an alcohol tolerance of a tomador).


The Boulevard at Sunrise

Beautiful isn’t it? An early morning jog along the boulevard could turn into a wonderful experience.



photo by Michael Angelo Alano
courtesy of Dgte.net


This is another shot sunrise at the boulevard taken near the Silliman Hall. The Photo is the winning entry in a digital photo contest about Dumaguete. Michael Alano, the photographer has this interesting words to say, “Freezing Dumaguete moments is what I pay for my dwelling here in Dumaguete…and the hospitality it gave me is more than I can repay my whole lifetime.” Indeed, this is so true about Dumaguete. Interestingly, Michael is not from Dumaguete, he just visited his sister who was studying in Silliman and on his first visit, he was captivated by its charm. When he got married, he asked his new wife to pack their things and they moved to Dumaguete. Dumaguete was coined from the Cebuano word “Dagit” which means “to capture”. It is, indeed, very easy to be captivated by the charm of the city.


century Old Bell Tower

Talking about “dagit” this bell tower served as a watchtower during the Spanish Time when Moro Pirates have constantly raided the City and capture the beautiful ladies of the city.


Perdices Street

Oh those noise at Perdices Street, main business district of the City. I remember Jade and Brazil making fun about the lights at Cang's, Inc, the walks I took from the City Hall to my house in Tubod. Walking along Perdices Street means bumping into one or more good friends.


The Silliman Hall built in 1907

Of course a tour to Dumaguete would never complete without Silliman University, my alma mater. Silliman Hall is the oldest building in the campus. The building now houses the Silliman Museum and the building itself is a museum piece, a reminder of the American Stick-type Architecture (I hope I got the term right).


Luce Auditorium

The Cultural Center of the South. I conquered the stage of this 923 seater fully airconditioned theater a number of times, as Pharaoh and Rueben of Joseph the Dreamer, as winner of two Extemporaneous Speaking Contest and Best Debater, among others (Magyayabang ba? This is my site, so who cares?! Hehehehe). But more than conquering the stage, outside of the Luce were moments I could not forget. The times I spent at the lobby with my friends preparing for our projects/presentations, club meeting, chitchats, and sleeping in the lobby with Jade and Brazil because our dorms were locked. I also fell in love with a woman while sitting in lobby of this auditorium one night when we were waiting for her dormmates and she shared to me her life story, but that’s another story.


Amphitheater

Now, this is the place that was a witness to my political aspirations. This is where I debated with my opponent when I ran as Vice President of the Student Government, organized an indignation rally against the French nuclear testing somewhere in the South Pacific and countless activities.


Residence of Dr. Absin
from dgte.net


And yes! Who could ever miss the Cake House! The house of Dr. Absin and a sight to behold during the Christmas Season.

[All pictures, unless otherwise specified are from dumaguete.org. For more pictures of Dumaguete please visit the said sites.]

No comments: