Thursday, January 15, 2004

Funny High School Stories

If you don’t like this post (you suck! kidding), blame it on Ms. D, she made us write some of our funny high school stories for her entertainment and I have to bow down to the queen. So here are the stories back from high school.

I studied in a public school. No, no, it wasn’t that public school where the classrooms are crowded and there are too many students that some have to hold classes under the mango tree (literally!). Ours was a laboratory school of a State College. We were at most fifty in a class with two sections per year level. Because we belong to a state college, we have a much better facilities compared to the National High School (located at the other side of the fence) and the Catholic High School (just across the river).


My School

I don’t know if this is funny, but these two stories are the only events I can remember.

My math class when I was a freshman was scheduled at 1:30-2:30 in the afternoon just after our lunch break. If you live in a tropical country, like the Philippines, and having to study in an unairconditioned classroom (although it’s a bit cold in our place because it located thousand feet above sea level), that hour is an unholy hour. You are most likely to fall asleep and math class at that! To make matters worst, our teacher is one of the most boring ones.

So one day in my freshman math class, I wasn’t listening to my teacher. I was seated right beside the window and the view from the window is that National High School at the other side of the fence. Just parallel to our classroom is an unfinished building, but because there are plenty of students enrolled in that school (elementary and high school education are free if you are enrolled in a public school), they were forced to hold class in that unfinished building.


That school beside the fence

Like I said, I wasn’t listening to my teacher, instead I was looking at the students who were playing inside that unfinished building (obviously their teacher isn’t in yet). That classroom was on the ground floor but the height from the lower portion of the window to the ground is 6-10feet. Playing a joke with his classmates, one able-bodied male student lifted one of his male classmates and jokingly threatened to throw him off the window. But the joke, by accident, became true and that classmate fell.

But he didn’t fell immediately. There was of course the spectacle of him holding on to the neck of his classmate until that classmate couldn’t hold on to his weight. As this incident unfolds, I was shouting and laughing with my very loud booming voice.

There is no problem with that right? They really look funny. Trouble is, I was the only one watching while the rest of my classmates were trying to listen to our teacher. Imagine all of you were listening to a very boring math lecture then all of a sudden somebody was shouting, inside your classroom, and laughing.

Well the scene that followed was my teacher standing beside me and softly yet forcefully said, “if you have any problems, you can leave the classroom.” All eyes were on me and I could mutter the words, “I’m sorry.” As soon as my teacher moves back to the front, I saw my classmates trying to suppress their laughter.

Another story happened in my sophomore years. We had a character for a class adviser who made us sing “A House is not Home” for our Technology and Home Economics Class. This is also the year when my male classmates started to act naughty.

One morning as we entered our classroom, we were welcomed by a very pungent smell and saw some liquid splashed just below the door of our classroom. From the smell, obviously it was urine.

There used to be a door knob in our door, but some students before us might have destroyed that knob and so it was taken out and replaced with blot locks and padlocks. The hole where the knob used to be was never covered. Our adviser suspects that someone must have urinated a night before through that hole in the door. Since, for her, it would be impossible for our female classmates to actually urinate there, the suspect, of course, were us - - the boys.

So to ascertain who the culprit was, our class adviser made the 15 of us (there were only 15 boys in our class of 40) to stand one-by-one infront of the door and just and see if our crotch would be of the same level of that place where the knob used to be (such a clever idea! Right?). Alas, Choi, the tallest among us, was the only one whose crotch was aligned with that hole.

Yes, Choi was a bit naughty, but he was an “A” student and part of the upper five in our year level. He was our adviser’s favorite so obviously she could not pin him as the culprit. Well, that was the end of this investigation and even up to this day I still don’t who the culprit was (I need to bring this topic in our next reunion).

No comments: